XtraFinder is an useful Finder plugin for Mac OS X’ finder that allows you to customize the behaviour of Apple’s file system manager. I’ve discovered it months ago since new Mac users asked me a way to have folders listed before files in Finder’s windows, having being accustomed to that behavior in Microsoft’s Windows Explorer (and I must admit that I too sometimes have a benefit from this after six+ years of OS X usage).
It’s main features are:
- Tabs (experimental).
- Dual Panel & Dual Window.
- Arrange folders on top.
- Cut & Paste.
- Pinable Window on system-wide shortcut.
- “Copy Path” menu.
- “Show Hidden Items”, “Refresh”, “New File”, “Copy to”, “Move to”, “Launch as Root”, “New Terminal Here”, “Hide Desktop”, … .
- “Contents” menu displays contents of folder.
- “Select…” let you quickly select items in a Finder window.
- Path bar enhancements: Spring-loaded, Contents menu.
- Light text on dark background.
- Automatically adjust width of Name column.
- Colorful icons in Sidebar.
Yesterday the author has published the the 0.10.1 release of it’s software, which is ready for all Intel powered Macs with 10.6.8 and above. Check it out!