Some days ago a colleague at work gifted me with a 250GB’s PATA hard-disk, since the enclosure that was retaining it had some serious issue. While I was investigating on the causes he got a new disk+enclosure and later on I found that was an electronic problem with the USB 2.0 controller.
BTW he got a new disk and I had his “old” one.
So I begun a quest for an eclosure for 3,5″ disks which at least had and USB 2.0 and a FireWire interface, since my positive experiences with the Western Digital MyBook drive and some other 2,5″ external disks ….. really, I wonder everyday why all the external disks aren’t FirwWire since it’s perfomance and it’s versatility.
So I went to a local store [an italian specialized brand: PC City] and found it.
The device is a Cooler Master X-Craft 350 (link) in the RX-3HA flavour. It’s main features are:
- Tool-free and Easy Installation
- Fan-less Silent Heat Dissipation Design
- Two USB 2.0 Hi-speed Ports
- HDD Shock-proof Mechanism
- Two FireWire 400 Ports
- MultiTRAK™ Technology provides transaction translator per USB port to ensure that hard disk and the other USB devices have best performance
All this for a street price of 44 euro.
So far I am really happy with this product, daisy-chaining it with my other FireWire disks. So happy that I am probably getting another couple of this!