The application includes the following features:
- ZIP / ZIP64 compression
- AES 128 & AES 256 encryption
- Backup filters (by extension, subdirectory, regular expression, size, date, status, usage)
- Incremental backup, differential and full backup support
- Delta backup (only the modified parts of the files will be stored, not the whole files)
- Archives merges
- As of date recovery
- Transaction mechanism (with commit / rollback management) for all critical processes (such as backups or merges) to guarantee your backups??? integrity
- Unix file permissions backup / recovery
- E-Mail reports
- Backup simulation
- FTP and FTPS support (SSL / TLS in both implicit and explicit modes)
Areca also provides all tools needed to handle your archives:
- Archive recovery (with or without deleted files); entire archives or single files can be easily recovered
- Archive merge: contiguous incremental archives can be merged into a single archive to save storage space
- Archive deletion
- History explorer: different versions of a given file can be browsed and restored
- Archive explorer: files can be searched among your archives
Storage modes Areca can handle multiple storage modes:
- Standard: It is the default mode, which is recommended for most users: If you choose this storage mode, a new archive will be created for each backup. All new or modified files since the last backup will be stored in this archive.
- Delta: This mode is recommended for advanced users only??: If you choose this storage mode, a new archive will be created for each backup. All modified *parts* of files since the last backup will be stored in this archive. This mode is particularly useful if you are handling large files.
- Image: If you choose this storage mode, a unique archive will be created and updated at each backup.
Backup types Areca can handle the following types of backups:
- Full Backup: When a full backup is performed, ALL files are stored in your archive (whether they have been modified or not).
- Incremental backup: When an incremental backup is performed, only the files which have been modified since the last backup are stored in your archive.
- Differential backup: When a differentiel backup is performed, only the files which have been modified since the last FULL backup are stored in your archive.
Areca uses the file’s size and last modification time to detect modified files. If one of these attributes is modified (whatever its value is), the file is flagged as modified. This allows a fast detection of modified files.
Areca is downloadable pre-packaged for Linux and Windows 2000 / Windows XP and Windows Vista. But it also runs on any other operating system, provided that a Java Runtime Environment has been installed (version 1.4.2 or later). It has been translated to: Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.