solving DESeq2 installation issues

At work a colleague asked me to do a system-wide installation of the R module DESeq2 in one of our internal servers.
The installation procedure is quite straight-forward:

source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("DESeq2")

Unfortunately I had some issues on my system, in fact I got:

…
Warning in fun(libname, pkgname) :
couldn't connect to display "localhost:12.0"
* DONE (maSigPro)

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘/tmp/RtmpfdD2RC/downloaded_packages’
Warning messages:
1: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
  installation of package ‘XML’ had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
  installation of package ‘annotate’ had non-zero exit status
3: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
  installation of package ‘genefilter’ had non-zero exit status
4: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
  installation of package ‘geneplotter’ had non-zero exit status
5: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
  installation of package ‘DESeq2’ had non-zero exit status

I then tried to install manually the various dependencies, like XML. Still no luck. After a quick Google search I found that I was missing a couple of -dev packages on my Ubuntu machine, so I installed them:

root@server:~# apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev libxml2-dev

… and then re-tried to install DESeq2. This time everything was ok. Problem solved!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s