At the end of August 2018 its been published the latest work of my colleague Maria Liguori and I’ve been put in the Acknowledgments section for my contribution in the project. It’s a pleasure for me to work with her and I am deeply grateful for this …
Reference: doi 10.3389/fnmol.2018.00288</kbd>
Thursday, February 1st was the first day of my ‘new’ job. After 130 months of precarious work I am now employed with a permanent and full time position as a Technician for the Bari’s research unit of the Institute for Biomedical Technologies.
Our groups is a Bioinformatics one, and my main duties will remain basically the same: keep servers running, install software, general maintenance and users’ support. What I do hope is to gain new responsibilities and – with them – some decisional power.
Wish me luck!
It’s been officially announced the publication of the latest work of my colleagues here at Italy’s National Council of Research Institute for Biomedical Technologies regarding the data analysis of gene expressions in prokaryotes: WoPPER.
Here I am mentioned in the acknowledgements for the server support … for the first time I am thanked publicly for my efforts!
For working reasons I had to work on a project at work were for each researcher I had to link a ‘social’ profile, not on Facebook or other popular – consumer – networks, but for some specialized ones … like ReaserchGate, Google Scholar, Mendeley, etc.. If you’re into academics you know them. Here is Academicons →
With a bit of luck I found a GitHub project by James Walsh, a post-doctoral researcher, were he made and collected a series of font icons – 100% compatible with the more famous FontAwesome that solved my need with few lines of code.
At work we’re in the middle of the development of a new Tomcat powered bioinformatics application, and have reached the stage were you have to show it to some peers but not make it publicly available. I do have an ubuntu 12.04 LTS server, so I took the most out of this Randeep’s post:
password protected directory in Tomcat →
Here it is how to do it in few steps:
- Add user, password and role in conf/tomcat-users.xml
- In the webapps/examples/WEB-INF/web.xml specify role, method and urls.
- Restart Tomcat and check the result
At work a colleague asked me to do a system-wide installation of the R module DESeq2 in one of our internal servers.
The installation procedure is quite straight-forward:
Unfortunately I had some issues on my system, in fact I got:
Warning in fun(libname, pkgname) :
couldn't connect to display "localhost:12.0"
* DONE (maSigPro)
The downloaded source packages are in
1: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
installation of package ‘XML’ had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
installation of package ‘annotate’ had non-zero exit status
3: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
installation of package ‘genefilter’ had non-zero exit status
4: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
installation of package ‘geneplotter’ had non-zero exit status
5: In install.packages(pkgs = doing, lib = lib, ...) :
installation of package ‘DESeq2’ had non-zero exit status
I then tried to install manually the various dependencies, like XML. Still no luck. After a quick Google search I found that I was missing a couple of -dev packages on my Ubuntu machine, so I installed them:
root@server:~# apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev libxml2-dev
… and then re-tried to install DESeq2.
This time everything was ok! Problem solved!