We can get overwhelmed with markers and data. There are so many things to pay attention to with a business! But really, we just need to watch the money. If most of our mailing list subscribers say they’d buy something from us and we built it, and none do, well people saying they’ll buy and them actually buying doesn’t always line up. If we’re popular on YouTube but can’t turn that into revenue, maybe it’s not a business—it’s just an awesome hobby (or even just a way to connect with other humans).Paul Jarvis
According to research from the Chrome team at Google and others, people spend more time on mobile apps than they do on mobile websites. Apps account for up to 90% of time spent on a phone and 77% of the time on tablets. But app usage is heavily concentrated in a few favorite apps (eMarketer). More than 50% of consumer app time is taken by a Facebook or Alphabet app (Apptopia), and 90% is spent in a person’s five top apps.Julia Enthoven
Alternatively, time spent on the web is more evenly distributed across providers and publishers. In the browser, people visit new websites they find on Google, explore links from existing apps, and browse content without the barrier of app installation. As a result, it’s easier for an unknown startup to reach users for the first time with a web presence vs a native presence.
Emphasis is mine…
- What It’s Like to Quit Social Media as a Teenager in 2018
- Here’s How To Plug One Of The Biggest Privacy Holes In The Internet
- Bruce Schneier on Facebook and Cambridge Analytica
- It’s time to rebuild the web – The web was never supposed to be a few walled gardens of concentrated content owned by a few major publishers; it was supposed to be a cacophony of different sites and voices.
- Sorry for the Delayed Response
- Designing your remote ‘office’
- The Shallowness of Google Translate – The program uses state-of-the-art AI techniques, but simple tests show that it’s a long way from real understanding.
Just two articles this week … not for the lack of them, but for keeping things in sync with the Italian counterpart of this blog…
- Wrangle your terminal with tmux
- USTWO: Open sourcing our website – over an year old, this article by Ustwo is a fascinating journey into the capabilities of WordPress and its REST API development core;
- The science behind fonts (and how they make you feel)
- Why developers hate WordPress